Today, when Internet technology has grown massively, the matter of security over the internet and digital platform has become a challenging concern. Cyber-crime is increasing insanely every hour, and the situation thus demands ethical hackers to take control.
Ethical hacking is a part of an online security system and internet safety, which now has become a career path for the talented, ethical hackers. However, people around are still not very much educated about the subject and are curious about several questions. What is Ethical hacking? Is Ethical hacking legal? Or how to become ethical hacker after 12th commerce and many more.
Concerning all the hype, we have created a detailed guide that will help you with every query related to Ethical hacking as a career option after 12th. By the end of this article, you will get answers to How to become Ethical hacker after 12th Science & Arts? And the certification process for learning Ethical hacking.
Also Read: How to Become CEO After 12th Commerce?
How to Become an Ethical Hacker After 12th?
The process of Ethical hacking involves both hacking and securing a network security system or computer system that belongs to an organization or an individual. Becoming an Ethical Hacker requires a combination of education, knowledge, training, and skills. But before understanding the process of becoming a certified ethical hacker after 12th, let us briefly discuss what is Ethical hacking and who is an Ethical Hacker?
What and Who Is Ethical Hacker?
Ethical hacking is defined as a legal procedure of hacking network security system or computer system. Ethical hacking as a term has been a matter of criticism with obvious reasons being hacking an illegal approach. However, ethical hacking is entirely legal if practised after going through the proper certification/ diploma process and under license.
Ethical hackers are also referred to as “White hat hackers” as what they do is legal and is done to strengthen any organization’s cyber security. Ethical hackers are computer and networking experts who identify the vulnerabilities and flaws in systems, networks and web entities.
With Data breaching becoming an everyday problem, ethical hackers are now highly demanded and thus add as a lucrative career opportunity for students after 12th.
Also Read: Best Courses After 12th Commerce for Girls
How to Become a Certified Ethical Hacker?
Becoming a Certified Ethical Hackers requires the candidates to undergo specific educational and skill-based learning. Though these certifications can be pursued after completing 12th as well but a degree in Computer science adds as an advantage.
Eligibility for Becoming an Ethical Hacker
- 12th passed (Computer Science as an Optional Subject during the senior secondary adds as an advantage).
- 50% minimum aggregate
- BE (Bachelor of Engineering)
- IT Engineering
- B.SC in Computer Science
Ideally, for pursuing courses related to Ethical Hacking, one does not necessarily require a graduation degree along. But individual institutions might demand a Bachelor’s degree while applying for the certification. Additionally, while applying for the post of Ethical Hacker in any organization, a Bachelors degree adds a benefit and might be compulsory as well.
Certifications and Diploma programs for becoming an Ethical Hacker
Ethical Hacking can only get practiced a s a profession once the aspirants have a diploma, certification or Degree in the particular field.
International Certifications for Ethical Hacking:
- Certified Ethical Hacker offered by EC-Council
- Certified Hacking Forensic Investigator (EC-Council)
- GIAC Certified Penetration Tester (GPEN) by SAN and GIAC
- Certified Intrusion Analyst (GCIA)
- Certified Hacking Forensic Investigator (EC-Council)
Certification and Degree Courses for Ethical Hacking in India
- PG Diploma in Information Security and System Administration
- Security Consultant Certified Professional Hacker
- Ankit Fadia Certified Ethical Hacker Course
- Certified Professional Forensic Consultants
- Certified Information Security Consultant
- Certified Professional Hacker
- B.Tech. in Cyber Security and Networking
- B.SC in Networking and Information Security
- System Security Certified Professional (SSCP) course
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) course
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) course
- Offensive Security Certified Professional (OSCP) course
- Certified Information System Auditor (CISA) course
- MTech. in Information Security
- MTech. in Cyber Security and Networking
- MTech. In CSE (Information Security)
- MTech. In Cyber law and Information Security
Most of the Ethical Hacking Certifications have a learning duration of 3 months to 6 months only. Amongst them, specific certifications are also available online via e-learning modules. However, the degree and diploma courses continues for a period of 2 to 5 years (for BTech. And MTech.).
Additional fields of study which would help in your career as an Ethical Hacker
- Certifications, including Security+, Cloud computing, risk management and application development, CISSP, and TICSA.
The Certification in Ethical Hacking courses teaches you techniques, methodologies, tricks, and tools that help build secure and highly influential security programming of an organization.
Ethical Hacking- Skills Required
- Excellent programming skills.
- A deep and dedicated interest in hacking.
- Sound technical knowledge related to computers, networks, database, and the cyber world.
- Proficiency in using various type of hacking software and tools.
- A patient mind and eye for details.
- Highly focused mind.
- Thorough knowledge of common cyber-crimes.
- Up to dates with the latest developments in the field of hacking.
Also Read: 13+ Short Term Courses After 12th Commerce
Job Role & Responsibilities of a Certified Ethical Hacker
The job role of a Certified Ethical Hacker is quite intense even more than the Computer and IT professionals. The job demands fulfilling a specific set of responsibilities, including:
- Client Meetings, discussing the security system of the organization.
- Researching and Understanding about organizations system, network structure, and possible penetration sites.
- Identifying Security bleaches, flaws & defects and recording them.
- Identifying about the area of low- and high-level security.
- Creating ideas and suggestions for upgrading the security system.
- Maintaining a list of alternative updates in case of cyber-attack.
- Conducting test on upgraded security systems.
- Compiling the test report for the client/organization.
- Conducting Penetration tests (multiple).
Ethical Hacking Career Prospects and Job Opportunities
Ethical hackers are well skilled and educated and thus are highly demanded in various Government and private sectors. If a Hacker holds certification/ Diploma or Degree in Ethical hacking, he/ she has high chances of getting a well-paid corporate or Government job.
As per the International Data Corp survey, over 60,000 information security personnel are in demand globally. This number is estimated to grow up to 188,000 globally in the coming few years. Whereas in India, up to 1 lakhs of job opportunities are waiting across nearly.
Ethical hackers- Area of Employment (Job opportunities)
Following government and Private sectors recruit ethical hackers:
- Government sectors including, Defence, Nuclear, Intelligence, and Energy.
- Private sectors including, Multinational companies, Tech. Firms, IT security teams, Schools and Universities.
Ethical Hackers- Job Positions
- IT Security Consultant
- IT Security Specialist
- IT Security Consultant
- IT Auditor
- Ethical Hacker
- Security Certified Programmer
- Forensic Investigator
- Systems/Applications Security Executive
- Web security Administrator/Manager
- Security Auditor
- Network Security System Administrator/Manager
- Penetration Tester
- Computer Forensic Analyst
- Network Security Specialist
- Site Administrator
For working as an Ethical Hacker under the Indian Government, one must fill up vacancies and openings for various departments. Moreover, aspirants can also join RAW or the Indian Intelligence Agency. However, for joining the Intelligence services in India as a hacker, the candidate has to clear the IAS or certain high-level examinations.
Ethical Hacker- Salary
Ethical Hackers in India earn more than 20% to 30% than other IT and computer professionals of the same level.
A fresher candidate with Certification in Ethical hacking can expect a handsome amount of 4 to 5 lakhs per annum as salary. However, with ample work experience and more degrees in the resume, their salary can grow up to 12 to 15 lakhs per annum within four a span of 4 years.
How to Become Ethical Hacker After 12th Arts?
Ethical hacking is more of a skill-based job then course or degree. 12th Arts students who know about the Computer and the internet and are interested in learning hacking can pursue the same certification courses.
The procedure of becoming an Ethical hacker for Arts, Science and Commerce remain the same. If you are an Arts (Humanities) student, build up your coding knowledge, learn more about automated hacking tools and software, skill up your abilities to find loopholes in codes and start learning and working day by day.
How to Become Ethical Hacker After 12th Science?
Anyone, despite their stream in Senior secondary years, can build their career as an Ethical Hacker. If you have just reached in your Senior Secondary years and are willing to take Science, it will be ideal to choose Computer as an optional subject.
However, suppose you have passed your 12th Science without having computer as an optional subject. In that case, you can still learn low-level and high-level programming languages, build your base about all the famous and commonly used operating systems. Further, it is advisable to get used to networking devices, servers, and automated tools.
Becoming an Ethical Hacker after 12th Science is all about your interest and dedication and not about the subjects you have studied in the senior secondary years. Further, the certification and diploma process remain the same for everyone.
The Best and Famous Ethical Hacking Books
For brushing up your hacking skills and learning from expert experience, it is ideal to read books by famous IT and hacking experts. The following books will leave you with immense knowledge and a better understanding about hacking in general.
- Hacking: The Art of Exploitation by John Erickson.
- The Web Application Hacker’s Handbook: Finding and Exploiting Security Flaws by Dafydd Stuttard
- Penetration Testing – A Hands-On Introduction to Hacking by Georgia Weidman.
- The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing by Patrick Engebretson.
- The Hacker Playbook 2: Practical Guide to Penetration Testing by Peter Kim
- Advanced Penetration Testing: Hacking the World′s Most Secure Networks by Wiley.
- Hacking: Computer Hacking, Security Testing, Penetration Testing, and Basic Security by Gary Hall.
- Hash Crack: Password Cracking Manual by Joshua Picolet.
List of Indian Institutes that offer Educational and training programs in Ethical Hacking
- University of Madras
- International Institute of Information Technology, IIIT Hyderabad
- Kalasalingam University
- Institute of Information Security, Delhi, Bengaluru, Chandigarh, Mumbai
- Reliance World Outlets
- National Institute of Technology, NIT, Calicut
- The Department of Electronics and Accreditation of Computer Courses, DEAOCC
Cyber-attacks, phone hacking, internet security breach is all a result of illegal and unethical hacking, also stated as Black Hat Hacking. However, opposing this, the hacking done legally, after completing certifications and degree courses, is termed Ethical Hacking. Certification and degree courses work as a license so that the individual can work further in any organization (Government or private) or even as a freelancer.
With the growing usage of the internet, several adverse effects can, if not stopped, at least get controlled through Ethical hacking. Students keenly interested in technology, cyber system, internet, and computers must look forward to learning Ethical hacking. The career scope after that is enormous and is estimated for immense growth in the coming years.