In India, in order to become a Professor, the aspiring candidates will need to complete their graduation in the stream of their choice.
Soon after the graduation the candidates will need to complete their post graduation in the same stream. After post graduation, the candidate will have to apply for the NET (National Eligibility Test) entrance exam to become a professor (lecturer) in India.
Roles and Responsibilities of a Professor/Lecturer
The main roles and responsibilities of a Professor/Lecturer include:
- Publish research, attend conferences, deliver presentations and network with other fields.
- Participate in committee, faculty and departmental settings.
- Assist in academic counseling sessions, student recruitment and interviews.
- Conduct research, fieldwork, investigations and publishing reports
- Review methods and teaching materials and make recommendations for improvement in teaching.
- Provide training and mentoring to junior lecturers and teaching assistants.
- Travel to other universities to participate in other learning opportunities and gain experiences.
- Develop curriculum and deliver course materials and many more.
Also Read: How to Become an Agricultural Officer After 12th?
Eligibility to become Professor in Universities
The eligibility criteria to become a Professor in Universities are listed below :
- The candidate must have cleared the 10th and 12th exam from a recognised board or university.
- The candidate must have a graduation or a post-graduation from a recognized university.
- The candidate must have a PhD degree in the field of their choice as certain educational institutions need a doctoral degree for a Professor.
- The candidate will need a qualifying score from the CSIR NET or the UGC NET exams or any equivalent exam.
- The candidate can also apply for the NTA’s SLET(State Level Eligibility Test) to be able to teach in any educational institution in the state where the exam was written.
How to Become a Professor after 12th Science?
The one who is aspiring to become a Professor after 12th has to pursue both undergraduate and postgraduate courses in their field of teaching preference. They should have a minimum score of 55% in all the subjects in both graduation and post graduation.
Since higher education is advanced, you will also need to do a specialization such as M.Phil or PhD to be eligible to teach at the college levels.
In order to become a professor(lecturer), you can also apply for the UGC NET exam which is conducted twice a year. Once you clear the exam and have a valid score in the exam, you will be able to work as a lecturer in any of the UGC recognized universities across the country.
One can also take up SLET (State Level Eligibility Test) to be able to apply for the positions of Assistant Professors in the state where the SLET was taken.
Check this out: How to Become a Football Player in India?
Skills required to become lecturer/professor in India
Apart from very good teaching skills, a lecturer/professor needs many other skills in order to excel in their profession. They are
- Time Management
- Research Skills
- Communication Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Good listening.
- Interpersonal Skills
- Problem Solving Skills
- Willingness to learn etc.
How to Become an English Lecturer after 12th?
In order to become an English Lecturer after 12th
- Pursue your graduation and obtain a Master’s degree in English Literature or a related field.
- You can appear for the UGC NET exam or the SLET exam to be able to apply for the jobs in the recognised national or state level universities.
- In order to be able to appear for the NET or SLET exam, a minimum of 55% marks is required in both undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
- Once you obtain a valid score in the NET or SLET exams, you may start applying for a job for the post of a lecturer.
Also Read: How to Get a Job in Infosys after Btech?
Salary details of a Professor or a Lecturer in India.
The average salary of a lecturer is around 25,400/- per month in India.
An average Government degree college lecturer salary amounts to around 2.4 lakhs per year for an experience less than 1 to 8 years.
An Assistant Professor salary in India ranges between 1.9 Lakhs to 10.8 Lakhs with an annual salary of around 3.9 Lakhs.
A Professor salary in India ranges between 1.2 Lakhs to 29 Lakhs. An average annual salary of a Professor amounts to around 12 Lakhs.
Levels of Professor in India
There are 3 faculty ranks namely
- Assistant Professor
- Associate Professor
The Junior Assistant Professor is equivalent to the earlier designations of the lecturer, Assistant Professor equivalent to Senior Lecturer and Associate Professor equivalent to Reader.
Competitive Exams to become a Professor in India
In order to be appointed as a Professor in any of the institutions in India, it is necessary that you clear any of the exams listed below:
- National Eligibility Test(NET) – in order to get an admission into any of the institutions or universities across the country
- State Eligibility Test(SET) – in order to get an admission into any of the institutions or universities within the state where the exam is taken.
Also Read: How to Become a Physiotherapist After 12th?
Is a PhD Required to be a Professor?
According to the University Grants Commission it is not mandatory to have a PhD to be a professor in Central Universities. However, as per reports, UGC is planning to create new positions for such teachers. They may be appointed as Professor of Practice or Associate Professor of Practice.
How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Professor?
It may take around 6-9 years for you to become a professor in India. Pursuing graduation, post graduation and gaining work experience, all counts upto the time duration required to become a Professor.
What Should I Do After 12th to Become a Lecturer?
Candidates aspiring to become a Lecturer will have to follow the following steps to become a lecturer:
- Firstly, they will need to pursue their graduation and post graduation in the same field as their choice of teaching preference.
- Their minimum aggregate should be 55% or more at both the graduation and post graduation.
- They will have to appear for the UGC- NET (United Grants Commission – National Eligibility Test) exam and clear the exam with a qualifying score.
- Then they will be eligible to start applying for the post of a Lecturer in any institution or university across the country.
Check this out: Importance of Moral Education Essay
How to Become a Professor in Central University?
In order to be eligible to the post of an Assistant Professor in a Central University, you will need a qualifying score in the UGC NET/SET/SLET exam after completing your graduation and post graduation or you must have pursued a PhD in your discipline.
In order to be able to get a job as a Professor in a Central University, you will need prior work experience as an Assistant Professor in any of the reputed institutions or universities across the country.
Leave a Reply