Are you a sports buff and want to build your career as a physical education teacher? Hold on, by end of this article you’ll learn eligibility, selection procedure and job profile of PET (physical education teacher).
Physical Education Teacher abbreviated as PET who takes care of the students physical activities like specific sports (Ex: football, badminton, cricket etc.) and also overall physical development of a student with exercises and various other physical techniques during the school hours or during the intervals between the classes.
Apart from this organizing sports event at schools/colleges will be another most important task to monitor as PET.
How to Become Physical Education Teacher (PET)?
Let’s know the career route to become a PET in our life.
- A person who has pursued his Diploma in Physical Education is a 2 year program and should have 50%-60% in aggregate marks in 12th Class from recognized State Board.
- A person who has pursued his Bachelor’s Degree in Physical Education(B.P.Ed),is a 2 year program depending on the university and to get into this course you should complete 10+2 with minimum 50% marks on aggregate in 2 years from recognized state board.
- A person who has pursued his Master’s Degree in Physical Education(M.P.Ed),is a 2 year program again depending on the university.
- And you should hold a B.P.Ed degree with 50%-60% aggregate marks from recognized university to do the Master’s.
- A candidate needs Min age of 19 years to pursue Bachelor’s Degree for physical education.
- On contrary a candidate needs Min age of 16 years to do Diploma in Physical Education.
Some of the states even conducting exams for the Physical Education courses like TSPECET, AP PECET, DUET B.P.Ed, MAH etc.
Also Read: How to Become Government Teacher?
Top Universities Offering the B.P.Ed Course:
|Lovely Professional University
|2 or 3 Years
|University of Mumbai
|Banaras Hindu University
Courses offered other than the B.P.Ed but which would be qualification criteria for PET are
- B.Sc (Bachelor of Science) Physical Education, the duration of this program is 3 years and subjects include physical fitness, health and nutrition ,first aid etc.
- B.A (Bachelor of Arts) Physical Education, the duration of this course is 3 years physical fitness, human anatomy, and other related subjects.
- B.A (Bachelor of arts) Yoga, the program cover different forms of body posture and to maintain in peace in mind due to various activities.
- M.P.Ed Masters of Physical Education, The Post Graduate level program offers sports research methodology, exercise physiology and other related subjects.
Popular Colleges Offering M.P.Ed courses are University Of Mumbai, Banaras Hindu University, Amity University Noida etc.
After completing 2 or 3 years of course based on the University or course you pursued you can apply for job in local private schools or colleges. Else, you can try for government job in state run schools or colleges. State or central government conduct exam to fill vacancies, keep an eye on employment news for notification.
Job Roles as Physical Education Teacher:
- Physical Education Teacher: Teacher taking care of school/college physical activities, and coordinating with the management to take students to attend various competitions and as well arranging in college competitions.
- Sports Coach: Coach who is defined for one specific sport and haves better skill set and experience in the sport. Most cases the sports coach role will be given to the person who has taken part in national or district level team.
- Fitness Instructor: Instructor who gives learning’s about the physical exercise and also the techniques to be fit and healthy.
Certain Job roles are also available in Market which will be offered if we have additional skill set and certification with B.P.Ed course.
- Sports Administrator: Sport’s Administrator is a person who takes care of a specific team and its complete schedule.
- Sportsman/professional Athlete: Person who professionally places a sport and is into national and international team.
- Yoga Trainer: Yoga is daily healthy activity that keeps the human body and mind at ease and peace.
- Personal Gym Trainer: Trainer takes care of individual by giving him the advice in the nutrition to the workout that has to be done to achieve the desired results.
- Sports Therapist: Responsibility of a therapist is to take of sportsman or athlete, helping him to recover from injury and make him fit for the next game.
Characteristics to be Successful PET:
- Communication Skill: Person with communication skills will be easily able to mingle in with students and would understand the requirements of students better.
- Active Personality: Whenever there is a event PET should be active in coordinating the program and monitoring the students.
- Friendly in Nature: PET should be very friendly with the students and try to give them better coaching and also understanding student weakness and help them evolve out of it.
- Zeal for Teaching: The person shouldn’t be tired so early and shouldn’t be tired of giving techniques to students and should be able to answer every doubt of them with patience.
- Passionate: Being passionate about the job is essential to be successful in career.
- Listening skills and determination to teach students and must have empathy by trying to look every problem in the opposite person perspective.
- Management Skills: This is also an essential skill as the private schools would expect PET to take care of various activities other than the sports like cultural events and Republic day and Independence day programs.
Also Read: Career Options If NEET Is Not Cleared
Salary of Physical Education Teacher:
The Salary of Physical Education teacher mostly is based on the experience they carry, skills they posses and organization they will be joining.
Salary of PET working in a private schools/colleges would range from (20k-25k) per month approximately and if someone posses the experience more than 5-10 years can receive more than (40k-50k) per month.
Salary working in Government posts would start from 18k per month.
Scope of Physical Education Teacher:
With evolving technology parents are more concerned about physical activity of their children, they are more cautious about the fact that their children need physical activity at school.
In the recent past rise of play schools/kindergartens/primary and secondary schools have given a rise in demand of PET teachers, this growth is expected to increase almost 10%.
The Government of Telangana is expected release notification for the Vacancies of Physical Education Teacher in near future as it has said in press release that they are going to fill nearly 40,000 various Government post in this year.