Are you looking forward to become aeronautical engineer after 12th? But, don’t know how to join or its eligibility criteria? You’re on the right place, spare few minutes here to learn about the aeronautical engineering course and its scope.
Before proceeding to read this long article, are you eligible to join this course? If you’ve done with 12th in science stream with 60 percent and above marks then you’re eligible. Unfortunately, if you’re from commerce stream stop reading you aren’t eligible to join aeronautical engineering course. However, you can proceed here and proceeding here to become IAS officer after 12th commerce.
What is Aeronautical Engineering?
It is one of the popular engineering branches, in which students are taught on manufacturing and operation of aircrafts, though it is associated with aerospace engineering, both deals with different things. One (aerospace) deal with spacecrafts to be precise and the second (aeronautical engineering) is about aircrafts that operates within atmosphere.
Aeronautical engineer is responsible to look after designing helicopters, aircrafts and airplanes. He/she is taught about thermodynamics, flight mechanics, stability & controlling of aircraft.
It is one among the toughest engineering courses available in India. You must complete 12th in Science stream + entrance exam to join engineering course.
Job Responsibility of Aeronautical Engineer
With technical knowledge an aeronautical engineer is responsible in developing, constructing, designing, maintaining and operating of missiles and military aircrafts.
Work areas include aviation and defense, in which he/she will use their computer technology ability to check fuel efficiency to reduce costs, enhance safety of flights and designing of aircrafts.
Below mentioned are job roles of an aeronautical engineer.
- Estimating designing requirement.
- Implementing and testing during the designing phase.
- Regular checks to enhance performance of aircraft, system and its components.
- Fitting and assembling components of aircrafts.
- Documentation of reports and manuals.
- Analysis and data interpretation.
- Working as a technical adviser.
- Responsibility to handle practical and theoretical research.
- Discussing with clients and setting a timescale to design, manufacture aircrafts.
- Responsible to investigate plan crash causes and documenting reports.
- Testing aircraft components and modifying.
Types of Job Roles
Above mentioned job responsibilities are handled by below mentioned job role candidates.
- Aeronautical engineer
- Aeronautical researcher
- Aeronautical designer
- Aeronautical technician
- Aeronautical consultant
How to Become Aeronautical Engineer after 12th?
Student must complete 12th PCM with 60%- 70 % of marks and should have qualified in AIEEE or JEE Main or any state level common entrance test to join engineering college.
Percentage in class 12th PCM may vary from different institutes or colleges.
- Students with BiPC 12th may not get admission into aeronautical engineering course.
- To join PG courses like M.Tech in aeronautical engineering candidate must appear for GATE entrance exam.
- Further, to get doctorate degree in aeronautical engineering, you must complete M.Tech and apply for PhD with 1-2 years duration.
In India any Bachelor of Engineering course duration is 4 years with 2 semesters every year. So, you must complete 8 semesters to get qualified engineering degree certificate.
Generally, all universities make it compulsory to do mini and major project in 6th and 8th semester of the course.
Few colleges/universities may also include internship, which will be helpful to take off your career in aeronautical engineering.
After completing 12th with PCM subjects, student must appear for state level engineering entrance test, AIEEE or JEE Main.
With negative marks for the wrong answer, this entrance test isn’t easy and you must dedicate most of the time to prepare.
After qualifying, based on your percentage in 12th class and entrance you’re called for counseling or you can directly apply for top universities like IITs and NITs.
Fee for UG (B.E or B.Tech) in aeronautical engineering may vary from state to state. On an average you may need to pay 80,000-1 lakh annually.
Aeronautical Engineering Job Scope & Salary
With good pay aeronautical engineering job is regarded as a respectful and reputed job.
Many private and government aviation manufacturing and research organizations need aeronautical engineers.
On an average you can draw up to 6-10 lakh per annum. If you get placed in reputed and government funded organizations then you can expect good perks and facilities.
Top Recruiters for Aeronautical Engineers
Based on the company, you may be posted in office, aircraft workshops or aeronautical laborites. Below mentioned are few top companies.
- Flight clubs
- Helicopter Corporation of India
- Civil aviation department
- Air India
- Indian Airlines
- Private Airlines
After completing B.Tech/B.E in aeronautical engineering, you can do specialization in any of your passionate field. Below listed are specialization courses.
- Aerospace Propulsion
- Electronic systems for aeronautics
- Characteristics of aircraft structures and materials
- Instrumentation and Communication
- Transportation Systems
- Aerodynamics & Fluid Dynamics
- Structural design & construction engineer
- Navigational Guidance & Control Systems
- Electronic systems for aeronautics
- Ground vehicle systems aeronautics
Apart from this, below mentioned are subjects in aeronautical engineering:
Skills Required: To Become Aeronautical Engineer
- Designing aircrafts, manufacturing and testing takes lots of analytical mind. Candidate with passion towards aircrafts will enjoy working on it.
- Alertness and presence of mind is something that every job demands. Apart from this you must be good at aptitude and must be able to handle tough situations.
- Along with accuracy, you must be speed in your work assigned by your company. So that you can meet the timescales set by your client.
- Good at technical aspect of aircrafts and good analysis to avoid loss of time or money for the company you’re working.
- This field demand being creative and innovative in thinking.
- Passion towards the subject and commitment to update yourself with latest technical development in aeronautics.
- Apart from this good leadership qualities, good at communication, easily adaptable in new environments and normal vision is mandatory in all job oriented fields.
Top Colleges for Aeronautical Engineering
These aren’t only colleges available in India to kick start your career in aeronautical engineering. So, don’t worry if you can’t make it to these top colleges.
- IIT Bombay
- IIT Madras
- IIT Kanpur
- IIT Kharagpur
- IIST Thiruvananthapuram
- Madras Institute of Technology, Chennai
- Hindustan Institute of Engineering and Technology, Chennai
- Nehru College of Aeronautical Engineering & Applied Science, Coimbatore
- School of Aviation Science & Technology, Delhi
- Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh
Though there is huge scope of this field, you have fewer options compared to other engineering streams like computer science. If you’re good at aptitude and technical subjects of aeronautics then you can easily crack DRDO and other government funded organization entrance exams.
Chances for B.E/B.Tech aeronautical engineering is less. So, you must proceed to PG or study abroad. Career in aeronautical engineering can be a dream for you, but make sure you face the challenges this stream has. Unlike computer science, electrical and civil engineering you’ve fewer options.