2020 – The year that felt was having great positive vibes turned out to be a nightmare that people want to forget, When the World was in panic due to the Pandemic, on the other hand, India along with the Pandemic was seeing a rise in Cyber attacks and Phishing Scams.
The National Capital Delhi has seen a 62% rise in banking frauds in 2020, and Hyderabad has complained double the number of cases compared to the previous year. A recent study stated that under IT Act 2000 the cyber crimes were increased to almost 450% in the year 2011-2016. This data clearly shows how crucial is a Cybersecurity expert in India.
Let’s understand now who is a cybersecurity expert and also learn how to become a cybersecurity expert in India.
Also Read: How to Become Ethical Hacker After 12th?
Who is a Cyber Security Expert?
Cybersecurity experts are the people who take care of the design and implementation of secure networks. The cybersecurity expert will be assigned to test and monitor the performance of the systems. He will monitor, detect, investigate, analyze, and respond to security events.
Cybersecurity expert’s main role would be to safeguard the company’s files by using a safe network, installing firewalls, and creating security activities to save them from breaching.
He has to find out the vulnerabilities and risks in the hardware, software and have to assess the possible breach and need to stop it at the initial stages itself.
Now, I guess this has already excited you!
And you are interested to know more in detail about what cyber security does and what should be my qualification to study related course what is the scope of this profession in India?
Also Read: How to Get Job in Google After 12th?
Scope of Cyber Security Expert in India
NASSCOM in the year 2020, has stated that India alone would need 1 Million cybersecurity experts, given the change in Indian demographics.
In other words more and more people are adopting the internet in their day-to-day activities.
While a job portal has said that they have seen a spike in Cybersecurity job roles, between 2018 and 2019.
In an interview with a leading news agency, Chief executive officer of Data Security Council of India Rama Vedashree said that “there are more than 53,000 jobs on offer in cybersecurity space”.
With growing popularity of job roles like Network security engineer, Cybersecurity analyst, Security Architect, Cyber Security Manager, Chief Information security officer, and many more, you can expect good career growth in cybersecurity.
After knowing about the scope and popular job roles let’s now see how to become a cybersecurity expert.
Prerequisites to Become a Cybersecurity Expert
The person who wants to become a cybersecurity expert should have depth knowledge of Linux and its complete commands.
If you are using Windows or Macintosh OS, I recommend you to start using Linux. Don’t worry; you can check commands to use Linux from any YouTube channel.
You should also have complete knowledge on the Networking, how they are created, how to configure various devices, and also how to install firewalls.
After having pure knowledge about this objectives mentioned above one can get into the cybersecurity program, and cybersecurity is such a program that can be learned over the experience.
When you get into the company interviews they ask you to go through the bug bounty program, where you are asked to find the bugs installed by the company.
I think, things discussed about are a bit unclear for you; so buckle up at the end of this article you will get to know the complete details related to this field in India.
How to Become a Cyber Security Expert in India?
Cyber Security in India can be learned at many stages like at Graduation (engineering & non-engineering), Post Graduation, Diploma, or through the certification programs too. So, let’s see one by one in-depth and understand all the courses.
A student who is willing to get into this career should preferably qualify in B.Tech with Information and Technology as the main subject in your graduation. Or if you’re graduated from a computer science stream then you can also move towards this field, because while studying graduation you’ll study about TCP/IP Protocols which are important in networking.
So, little about how to join B.tech; you must have atleast 55% of marks in Maths, Physics and Chemistry stream. Then you would be eligible to write entrance examination conducted by central and state governments.
IIT JEE mains, AIEEE, EAMCET, are some of the prominent entrance exams which could lead you into B.Tech graduation.
I will be listing some of the graduations courses which can be done after the 12th to get into the Cybersecurity space.
- B.Tech (Information Technology)
- B.Tech ( Information Science and Engineering)
- B.E (Information Technology)
- Diploma in Cyber Security
- B.Tech ( Cyber Security and Forensics)
- B.Sc in Cyber Security
Specializations for Cybersecurity:
Students during their graduation can also get into various specialization courses which are excluding from their graduation syllabus to get qualification certification too.
- IT Management & Cyber Security
- Computer science with Cybersecurity and quick heal
- Information security with IBM
- Computer science with Cyber expert investigator
- Computer science with networking and Cybersecurity
These are the few specializations which you can do to attain certificate, which can be a plus point in your resume.
Master’s Courses after Graduation:
If you’ve already graduated and are looking for the master’s program in Cybersecurity there are few courses which could fulfill their dream cybersecurity expert.
- Master of Computer Application ( MCA)
- MBA ( Information of Security Management)
- M.E ( Information Technology)
- M Tech ( Information Technology)
- M Tech ( Cybersecurity)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Cybersecurity
These are the few Master’s courses offered by the various universities and colleges in India. If you are an aspirant of this course can look individually at the course and can join.
Diploma in Cyber Security:
Diploma in Cybersecurity is one of the most buzzed education course which can be done with meager qualification. Let’s understand the road map for this course.
This is a course which can be done in 6 months and this is done both as a full-time program and also as an online program. This course is taught by industry experts and who have expertise over the years in cybersecurity.
This course teaches you a lot of techniques and tools that can be offensive and defensive and can help you in securing the company data.
Candidate can be a 10th passed student to be eligible for this diploma.
Modules of the Diploma in Cybersecurity Course:
Now let’s understand the modules that are taught in this course,
- Fundamentals of Cyber Security
- Network security
- Database security
- Server Security
- Web Application Security
- IT Security Compliance
- Android Penetration Testing
Colleges Offering Diploma in Cyber Security:
International College for Security Studies is one such college offering this course, which is accredited by Skill India and National Skill Development Corporation.
Course fee would range from Rs 40,000/- to 60,000/-
Now there would be some people who have completed their graduations and are working in various organizations and as part of change want to get into this field, is it possible for them? Yes, they are also eligible to do few certifications and attain knowledge and can jump-start their career. So, now will look into these certification courses.
Also Read: Diploma Interior Designing After 10th
Certifications for Cyber Security Course:
We have seen all the Graduate and Diploma courses to become a Cyber Security Expert and now let’s look into some of the certification courses that could boost your profile to this job role.
- Master Certificate in Cyber Security– Course offered by Jigsaw Academy which is in Bangalore. The duration of this course is 600 hours and costs you around 2,80,000 plus taxes. The course covers 14 modules.
- Stanford Advanced Computer Security Program: Great learning is an online-based learning platform and this certification course is offered and helps you learn analytic, data science, big data, machine learning. This is 6 months certification course and costs you around 1,74,650 approximately.
- PGP in Cyber Security: Praxis Business School of Kolkata offers this course of cybersecurity and it is a 9 months course including practical work and costs around 3,00,000. Praxis has huge integration with the big corporate entities like CISCO, Fortinet, Infosec Foundation, etc.
- Certified Ethical hacker by Simplilearn: This course provides learning about tools and methods used by hackers which could lead to cyber-attacks and this course is a 40hrs program and costs around 40,000/- approximately. This course will help you in evolving as a hacker mind.
- Cyber Security Certification course: Edureka is a Global E-Learning platform and offers certification programs online. The duration of this program is 4 weeks and costs you around 14,500. This course will help you learn computer networks and security, application security, data, and endpoint security, cloud security.
So, these are the various certification courses that you have seen to be a qualified cybersecurity expert. Now let me give a quick look at the job role in this field and the qualities you would require to excel in this profession.
Also Read: Best Courses After 12th Commerce for Girls
Job Roles after Cyber Security Courses:
- Network Security Engineer: This is one of the most important or essential position in any organization. Your job role is to ensure the systems are in place perfectly to play defense with the cyber attacks. Also, maintain firewalls, routers, switches and, also VPNs (Virtual Private Networks).
Salary of this job profile is approximately 4 to 6 lakhs per annum.
- Cybersecurity Analyst: In this job you’ll be responsible for constant outlook at the security systems, also try to find any vulnerability and risk factors that could lead to attacks. You must analyze the slipstreams that could eventually be breached and also train your juniors to handle such cases.
Salary of this job role is approximately 5 lakhs annually.
- Security Architect: The security architect in a company is as crucial as an analyst as you’ll be the person who designs all the network systems and tries to understand the chances of the attacks and build the company profile accordingly. You must give guidelines and paths for the cybersecurity expert in the company.
Salary of a Security Expert is around 12 lakhs annually.
- Cybersecurity Manager: As the cybersecurity manager you’ll be responsible for crafting a framework for the instructions and guidelines for the security protocols. You must handle an efficient team who are hired for clean access of the company day to day activities.
Salary of a Cybersecurity Manager is approximately 10 lakhs annually
Qualities to Become a Cybersecurity Expert:
- Analytical Skills
- Problem Solving Skills
- Organizational Skills
- Management Skills
- Communication Skills
- Passionate about Cybersecurity space
- Strategic Skills
- Quick and lifelong learners
- Cross-functional in nature
Interview Questions for Cybersecurity Job role:
- What is Cryptography
- What is the difference between Symmetric and Asymmetric encryption
- What is a traceroute? What is the need?
- What is a firewall? What is its need?
- What is a three-way handshake?
These are a few of the interview questions and answers for these questions can be seen on various websites.
In the end, I would say one thing for sure that this is one of the most in-demand courses. Also, jobs opportunities are available in plenty in India and also around the continent. If you are seriously interested in this job and feel you can do all the hard work, then start today itself to learn according to your education criteria to become cybersecurity expert.