Are you looking to join hotel management course? But, confused whether it’s good or bad for your career? Read on this article to clear doubts about this career option.
When you hear hotel management, most of you might have visualized a person in white apron, whose responsibility is to cook and serve. This is a myth.
Hotel management isn’t just about cooking, it also include hospitality service in not just hotels but in travel, hospitals, events, airlines and cruise industries.
We Indians only knew two popular career streams one is medical and other is engineering. Apart from these there are 150 such career paths available that can win bread and butter for you globally.
Lack of knowledge and pressure from Indian parents on students to take particular courses pushed other rewarding careers to corner. Hotel management & Hospitality is one such course.
Must Read: Career Option after B.tech Civil?
Now, that you’ve decided not to follow the sheep herd and take the untaken path, spare few more minutes to learn thoroughly about this course and its job scope.
Is Hotel Management a Good Course?
A short answer would be YES! But, please read the complete article before taking a decision. It’s about your career, so don’t skip.
As a student you might be worrying about your future and lack of knowledge about this course may turn into job insecurity and you may end up choosing the same course want the whole country is opting for.
Every career has is pros and cons. It all depends on your passion towards the job and the current market demand that can make your career wonderful.
If you’re opting this course only because you heard about high paying salary and no mathematics needed, then think once again. Hotel management and hospitality needs practical training. So, you can’t expert higher pay cheques in initial days. However, with hard work and dedication you can stand from the crowd. Please read this answer from a Quora user who did his hotel management course and how he ended up joining a big company.
To decide, if hotel management and hospitality is good career or not, check below listed points.
- First thing is first, you must be passionate towards your job.
- Person must be ready to work in various job profiles available after completing hotel management course.
- You must have string hold on communication, aptitude and pleasing personality.
- Qualification of 10+2 with atleast 50% of marks is required to join hotel management course.
- Most hotels hire only graduates who’re trained in hotel management job profiles. However, there are few other hotels who offer paid or free internship.
- Be ready to start with small amount.
- With increasing globalization and need for hotel management graduates, you must be willing to work irrespective of city/country.
- As a hotel management aspirant you must be ready to work for long hours and reply to rude queries of customers with utmost cool.
If you’ve gone through above mentioned points and are still interested in this course, then move further to know its scope in India and around the world.
Also Read: How to Become Aeronautical Engineer After 12th?
Career Scope of Hotel Management
Our country, India is one of the best travel destinations in the world. Its enticing natural beauty contributes in rapid growth of tourism. With increasing in demand for hotels and booming travel industry, demand for well trained professionals is increasing gradually.
According to World Travel and Tourism Council, India is one the popular business destinations in the world. To accommodate thousands of tourists arriving to our country, government of India is encouraging more professional hotel & hospitality businesses. So, students pursuing hotel management course can see a huge market in coming years. (Due to pandemic in 2020, this growth can be delayed. However, the need for such professional people in hospitality business is always available.)
Apart from India, with required years of training you can unleash job opportunities in foreign countries, where you can achieve new heights in career.
Every day you’ll be faced with new challenges to convince/impress your guests. You’ll get to know more people around the world; chance to learn their culture, language and many more good things that are worthy than high paying salaries.
General Manager of Hilton says that with so much early responsibilities you develop as a person and can achieve higher positions at very young age.
Chance to put your creative brain to work and trying it to please guests is something that leaves you with job satisfaction.
If you’re someone who’d love to serve the guest, then this is perfect course for you.
Not just this, you might get responsibility to travel other hotel chains around the country or world. Who knows, this global industry may help you visit some of the exotic places on this planet and know different cultures.
Also Read: How to Become Event Manager?
As mentioned earlier, hotel management course isn’t just about cooking or serving. There are many more responsibilities mentioned below.
- Front Office Manager
- Assistant Manager
- Team Leader or Housekeeping Associate
- Guest Relation Executive
- Kitchen Stewarding Supervisor
- Restaurant Manager
- Restaurant Captain
- Assistant Manager Administration
- Airline Catering Services
- Cruise Ship Hotel Management
- Resorts and Guests Houses
- Hospitality Services in Indian Navy and MNCs
- Club Management
- Hospital Catering and Administration Service
- Catering Department in Armed Forces, Shipping Companies and Railways
- Self Employment (Own Business)
And the list goes on.
With good communication skills and desire to serve the guest you can easily escalate to higher positions in this industry.
If you didn’t skip the first part of this article, I mentioned that initially days can be changeling, so you may get only 10K per month. However, as you gain required experience in different job roles you can increase different job opportunities in the same industry and easily multiple your income.
Learning different languages with excellent verbal communication skills you can be added advantage and hotel or hospital management will not take chance to lose you.
Along with this, you must have patience to resolve disputes and very detailed seeing.
There are four ways by which you can opt for career in hotel management.
Certificate based course with specialization in certain role. Eligibility to this course is 10+2 from recognized board. Duration can be 6 months to 1 year.
Diploma Course: Eligibility is 10+2 from recognized state or central board. Duration to complete this course is 2 years.
Eligibility for Degree Course is 10+2 with 50% of marks. Duration will be 3 years. You can opt for specialization prior to admission into the course.
You can also do PG course in hotel management if you’re graduate with 50% of marks.
Having English as a subject can be mandatory in some institutes or universities.
How to Join Hotel Management Course?
Government and private institutions conduct entrance exam to get admission into hotel management & hospitality course.
NCHMCT JEE & IIHM eCHAT are two popular entrance exams that are conducted to join this course.
NCHMCT (National Council for Hotel Management & Catering Technology) & IGNOU (Indira Gandhi National Open University) jointly conduct NCHMCT JEE that is accepted by various universities and institutes around the world.
However, some top private institutes can conduct their own entrance to get admission.
- After qualifying in the written entrance exam (NCGMCT JEE), student may have to participate in group discussion and personal interview before getting admitted to the institution.
- Selection process may vary depending on the institutes.
Hotel Management & Hospitality Courses
Below listed are top courses and duration.
Certificate & Diploma Courses
- Hotel and Catering Management – Certificate based course for 6 months – 1 year.
- Hotel & Hospitality Management Certificate Course, duration is for 6 months to 1 year.
- Hotel and Hospitality Management Diploma Course, duration: 1.5 year to 3 years
Undergraduate Degree Courses
- Bachelor of Hotel Management, duration is for 3 years
- BBA in Hotel Management, duration is for 3 years
- Bachelor of Hotel Management & Catering Technology, duration is for 4 years
- BSc in Hotel/Catering/Hospitality Management (with specialization), duration is for 3 years
PG Courses in Hotel Management & Hospitality
- PG in Hotel Management (Diploma Course) duration 1 year
- MBA in Hotel Management, duration is for 2 years
- Master of Tourism Administration, duration: 2 years
- MSc in Hotel/Hospital Administration, duration: 2 years
- Master of Hotel Management, duration: 2 years
Top Universities for Hotel Management & Hospitality Course
Here are few best institutions in India.
- IHM Mumbai (Institute of Hotel Management)
- IHM PUSA, Delhi (Institute of Hotel Management, Catering and Nutrition)
- Welcome group Graduate School of Hotel Administration, Manipal
- Army Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Bangalore
- Amity School of Hospitality, Noida
- Chitkara School of Hospitality, Chandigarh
- BCIHMCT, Delhi
- IIHM, Kolkata
- NSHM School of Hotel Management, Durgapur
ITC group of hotels, HRH, Holiday Inn group of hotels, Welcome Heritage group of hotels, Tulip Star, Hotel Taj, K Raheja hotel group, Jaypee hotel group, ITDC hotel group, Casino, Clarks hotel group, Sarovar park group of hotels, Oberoi hotel groups, Mansingh hotel group, Ambassador hotels, Peerless hotels and Best Western hotels are some of the top hotel groups that hire hotel management professionals.
Required Skills for Hotel Management
Apart from long working hours and patience to deal/resolve customer’s issues, this job demands more professional skills that are listed below.
- Good communication skill is one of the most important aspects of this job.
- Team-work & management is something that is needed in every industry.
- Patience to deal with some angry costumers.
- Creative thinking to increase sales and attract more guests to hotel.
- Eye-Eye details and alter mind.
- Aware of different cultures, so you can serve the guest better.
- Customer serving skills.
If you think you’ve these above listed skills, then with some professional training you can get admission to one of the top hotel/hospitals to sky rocket your career path. Am sure, now you can decide is hotel management a good course for you or not.